Wisdom Comes Suddenly

A New Chapter

March 31st, 2011 · 19 Comments

I’m headed in a new direction here at Wisdom Comes Suddenly, and I hope you’ll like this chapter as much as you’ve enjoyed previous escapades, because this chapter is…um, well to be honest, it’s REAL.  Really…real.  It’s begins with a new affiliate relationship I’ve formed with a company I blogged about one year ago named “Celebrate Calm“.  They specialize in teaching parents behavioral techniques for intense and/or special needs children, i.e. Gifted, ADHD, ODD, OCD, Anxiety Disorders, Asperger’s, Autism, Sensory Integration Disorder, and other learning or emotional disorders.  That being said, I think their techniques are so common-sense, they would work on any child.

So here comes the real part: Sara is a special needs child, which would be the first time in 5 years I’ve said that out loud.  I like to refer to her as “high needs”, because for some reason, I find it easier to say.  It’s ambiguous; ambiguous can be comforting when you climb a mountain with a child, only to look up and see another standing in your way. We live with the fuzzy hope that each mountain will be our last.  Sara’s diagnosis list is so long that it truly deserves its own post, and I promise to share that journey in the very near future.  For now, I can tell you she is simply a very intense child who defies all common parenting logic.  We are not alone in parenting an intense child, this much I’ve learned.

Sara is creative.  Sara can think abstractly.  Sara is funny and brilliant and terribly interesting to live with.  Sara is singularly one of the greatest opportunities to walk into my life.  She encompasses so much that I love about the experience of living.  ButBUT…Sara is DIFFICULT to parent.  She is intense and frustrated and defiant and happy and thoughtful and quite often, very pissed off.  After trying a couple of techniques from the Celebrate Calm seminar, and watching them work like butta’, I gave them a call.

Hence, the new partnership: Greg and I are going to parent our way through their Parenting Set of CDs, and share our experiences with you here.  We’ll also do Brain Boosters, Defiance and Dads, and Calm Couples Marriage Makeover.

I hope you’ll find parenting technique posts useful.  I don’t have a fixed schedule in mind, because I’m not sure when the girls will give me “material”.  Of course, having met my children, I would guess they’ll provide me with plenty of opportunities.  Per FTC rules, I have to tell you that I am being paid for my writing.  Should you link out to Celebrate Calm and buy their products, I will receive a portion of those profits.  I know some bloggers get funny about promoting products, but friends, I don’t mind sharing ideas that have made my life easier, and I don’t hate money. Sara’s Occupational Therapy is fascinating, but it isn’t free.  With Celebrate Calm’s permission, I was going to write this stuff ANYWAY, so if writing will pay for tiny reading glasses and pediatric physio-balls?  Then by God, this Momma is all for it.  Should the FTC catch wind of that one time I got paid in pencils and didn’t disclose it?  And then I had the moxie to give the pencils away to 4 year olds at a birthday party?  I’m going down people, that’s all I can say.

My first post will be a story of how using the words, “I promise” correctly turned an evening around…it’s not rocket science…it just works. Stay tuned.

Tags: CelebrateCalm

19 responses so far ↓

• 1 Eternal Lizdom // Mar 31, 2011 at 8:35 am

I am always eager for parenting technique stuff! I’ve read oodles of books. Not everything applies to me, my kids, our home. But I’ve always learned something. So I am looking forward to it!

• 2 The Momma // Mar 31, 2011 at 8:52 am

Oh good Liz! I’m so glad. I’m the same. I’ll read anything, and I’ve struggled to find techniques that work with Gifted Kids with learning disorders…they are such complex kids. My younger daughter is a very typical kid and the techniques work with her too.

• 3 Teresa // Mar 31, 2011 at 9:28 am

Awesome! and Congratulations!

• 4 Amie R. // Mar 31, 2011 at 10:11 am

First, congratulations on forming this partnership! One of my favorite mantras is making money and doing good are not mutually exclusive. Second, I am unbelievably excited to hear what you have learned and what works well. I just started reading ‘The Highly Sensitive Child’ and within the pages have found for the first time an accurate description of the unique blend of behaviors we’ve observed in Alexa since birth. Kudos to you for being honest, bold and brave with your parenting experiences.

• 5 Mari // Mar 31, 2011 at 10:23 am

Lori,
    I think that you are fabulous and I love reading your blog. Congrats on the collaboration!
    -m

• 6 Pam Lewis // Mar 31, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Lori—I just read your blog and I want to say–THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!! Austin is ADHD and we are always looking for new techniques that can help make things a little easier for him. We have even changed school systems because we felt the schools desire to put him into special education classes would hold him back in ways that we were not comfortable with. Can’t wait to see what’s next!

• 7 The Momma // Mar 31, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Pam,

On average, kids with ADHD have above average IQs. They are the most misunderstood children. 10 years of researching ADHD really opened my eyes. Keep reading…it will be applicable…ADHD is SO complex! Godspeed, Lori

• 8 Sarah // Mar 31, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Lori,

I am thrilled that you have formed this partnership. I have read the newsletters they send out and have been so tempted to get the CD’s….then stop b/c of funds. My son has sensory integration disorder, ADHD, anxiety and Asperger’s. I can so totally relate to the parenting challenges and the feeling that your heart will burst with love for your child. One of the hardest things for me is to see other children shun him and tease him. He is learning how to advocate more for himself but at age 10 and with the multiple challenges he has each day, that is so hard. I really relate to the intensity and the range of emotions from our kiddos. I am so excited to keep reading – could you write quickly??? Seriously, I am anxious to read more. Thanks, Sarah

• 9 Hands Free Mama // Mar 31, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Lori, I have goosebumps as I read this. I have always believed there was something BIG that would happen when your writing merged with your “Sara Journey.” I cannot imagine how many lives you will touch by sharing your experiences, your struggles, and your triumphs. You are funny, you are real, you are one of the most amazing mothers I know. This is gonna be good. This is gonna be life changing, not only for you, but for those of us blessed to read about it.

Thank you for taking this HUGE, courageous step! I am so proud of you!

• 10 Kittymama // Mar 31, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Everyone needs calm in their lives and I welcome this opportunity to learn from you how to add to mine. Wishing you and your family peace and calm always!

• 11 Pat // Apr 1, 2011 at 8:26 am

I’ve said it before – I wish you had been my mom. Of course, fifty years ago they had no idea that I was anything more than a brat (and my sister still doesn’t get it). I was in my late 40’s before I became myself. I’m so glad Sara and many others will not have to wait that long.

• 12 Melissa // Apr 1, 2011 at 11:37 am

WOW! Yes, truly interested in your posts. Jordan is ADHD/ADD…so I am all for any tips and tricks that you discover through this process. I’m putting on my hiking boots to climb this mountain with you!

• 13 Elizabeth // Apr 1, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Every day I find myself seeking out advice and opinions from caring parents like you. It makes the journey less lonely. Thank you Lori for all you do for your girls and for your readers!

• 14 The Momma // Apr 1, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Doesn’t it? I shudder to think where we’d be had I not been writing for 5 years. I’ve gotten so much good advice!!

• 15 Granny Beth // Apr 1, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Oh Lori, every day I wonder if there had been a better way to parent Anne from the beginning. She came into our lives with so many problems. I will be following your journey with great interest and tears in my eyes, I’m sure. You have become so much more as you have grown into the wonderful mother that you are. I’m sure your parents are proud to call you their’s. Go for the partnership too. Anything to help parent and help pay!!

• 16 Melinda Rito // Apr 1, 2011 at 1:55 pm

This seems very interesting! 🙂 My son Tyler is ADD, ODD and has a non-verbal learning disorder. He just started a new medication today…it would be great to learn new parenting skills that might help him learn how to calm himself down on his own down the road! 🙂 I’ll keep you on my favorites list!
    Thanks!!!

• 17 Ana Paula // Apr 1, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I am so excited to hear it!
    I am assuming they are the ones we went to their presentation at Sycamore last year?
    I looooove the guy and loooove his techniques. I will be following your journey from here, my friend, and want you to know that I am here for you!

• 18 Chris Mackey // Apr 1, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Thanks for sharing this Lori – I can’t wait to read the “I promise” post. We’re off to a parenting seminar tonight and now we have another resource!

• 19 Maureen // Apr 3, 2011 at 3:09 am

My children are all grown up now, I wish we had had some practical guidance – as you say – for simply just parenting!

I think that your child will be learning just as much as you are. At that age they are often frustrated because they don’t have the ability to – I’m not sure how to phrase it, I don’t mean ‘control’ themselves, but be able to say to themselves ‘this is what I need to do’. If we as parents with our years of life don’t know how to help them how can they know how to help themselves?

Looking back I think my son had ADD/ADHD tendencies, if we had known that and how to deal with it and help him to deal with it, he would have had a much easier time as a young adult.