Wisdom Comes Suddenly

A Culinary Summer, Volume Two

June 18th, 2012 · 7 Comments

Here is a shot of my new fridge arrangement.  It’s…a mess, but it’s working. Most lunches aren’t high-intensity, so I pull out bowls of fruit and vegetables and tell the girls to make their own combos.  Veggie bowls must contain at least 2 varieties of veggies, but they are of their own choosing.  They must have a no less than 4 pieces.  We rarely snack anymore (unless dinner will be later than our norm or they’re starving after a swim), but I do let them grab a small sweet pepper or a handful of berries as long as mealtime is over an hour away.  They quickly got addicted to yogurt, but think sugar, sugar, and more sugar, even in the “good brands”.  SUGAR.  Lactose sugar, fructose sugar, and added sugar.  It’s the healthiest, stealthiest sugar we own.  So yogurt is no longer a grab and go free choice.

We don’t drink milk, so I only need a little half-quart in the door for cooking.  Once I moved the milk and OJ into the door, I had this gigantic area just begging to be filled with something bright.  How much time and money do I spend at the grocery? Way, way, way too much.  Did I mention this is too much work and too expensive?  But at least with my little bowls, everything gets eaten.  We eat what we see, and what’s fast and easy to grab.  By Friday, there wasn’t a single thing left in the fridge.  Everything you see was chopped, grabbed, inhaled, or otherwise used in a recipe.  Success!

Tags: The Girls

Print This Post Print This Post

7 responses so far ↓

• 1 Karin // Jun 19, 2012 at 8:59 am

We’re on day 2 of summer break but meals havent changed (although I’m missing our CSA and all the surprise goodies since we’re moving but I’m using your photos for my grocery trips) We have 4 meals a day – breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner. They get a protein, fruit or veggie and a starch with each meal plus a dessert once a day at their choice of time. They can have as many fruits and veggies and water as they want in between meals. yogurt is often the protein in a meal (I have mickey mouse Tupperware Popsicle makers that I put it in too for their snacks – they think it’s a treat but it’s pretty healthy and one of the cups fills 2 pops)

• 2 Amie R. // Jun 19, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I love your posts about food. When I read your words, I know that I am not alone. Food is epic in our house – for good and bad. We are exploring this summer too. We had roasted swiss chard for the first time yesterday. Delicious! Today, we are doing the cauliflower and grape recipe. It was a hit last time we tasted. I could go on and on about food, health and illness….but I’ll keep it short by saying thank you for sharing your ideas and resources. I most enjoyed the book link. I realized because of Alexa’s early intestinal battles I am too lenient about snacking and it ruins meal time. We are limiting snacking for the first time. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for sharing your wisdom :)

• 3 The Momma // Jun 20, 2012 at 6:46 am

Hang in there! The book really helps, because it introduces a stronger parenting mindset than the American version. “Kids aren’t hurt by hunger. It’s OK to be hungry between meals.” Now I chant that to snacker Kelly when she begs. Within a few days, they were over it.

• 4 Gretchen Bandoli // Jun 20, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I agree with you on your approach. I have cut junky foods out of the house (I realized we were at the point of no return when Lucia would hang from the pantry door handles trying to open them at 8:30am!). We have wonderful farmers markets in this area, so we load up on fruits and veggies, and I wash and cut them quickly upon return, b/c if they are ready to consume, we will eat them. Of course, there are still hidden caches of chocolate above where the girls can see or reach, but only mama knows about those :-)

• 5 Karin // Jun 20, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Gretchen – sadly, my kids can see and reach nearly everywhere I can… I now have to have a “touch and die” sign on my chocolate stash!!

• 6 The Momma // Jun 20, 2012 at 8:19 pm

You’all are making my chocolate allergy look convenient!

• 7 Karin W // Jun 20, 2012 at 8:37 pm

it goes for any stash of a goodie you don’t want to share! I loved having a college roommate who was allergic to chocolate – I could leave my stash in plain sight!